• Photographer: Jonas Carlson Almqvist
  • Photography date: April 13, 2004
  • Categories:
  • Country:: Italy
  • Pageviews::

St Peters basilica - Chapel of the Pieta

St Peters basilica - The abbot commissioned the sculpture to decorate his tomb inthe ancient Chapel of St Michael Archangel and St Petronilla, built on the external left side of the Constantinian Basilica. Before 1520 the chapel was destroyed to give room to the building of the new Basilica and the Pietà was moved to the ancient secretaire, to the left side of the facade, one of the places where the Pope doned the vestments when he celebrated in St Peter's.

}